MozCon 2017: How to Build an SEO-intent Based Framework for Any Business
The following post is part of WTWH Media Marketing Lab’s ongoing blog series from MozCon 2017.
Marketing is challenging in the Healthcare industry. But what’s even more challenging? SEO. Healthcare searches can have completely different user journeys and intent each time which can be hard to measure. The solution to this common issue, was to build a template and SEO framework including goals to audit and a strategy to measure.
So, how do you actually do this?
- Document Current Goals: Document all related goals, audience information, business insights, new content, and KPIs. You will need all of this information to measure your campaign.
- Perform a Content Audit: Perform a content audit on all related pages to your goal. This will help you measure your current content, how it is performing, where traffic is coming from and how you can improve it.
- Use Keyword Research: Build out your keyword research based on seed keywords and user information. Take a look at what competitors are ranking for. This will help you prioritize keywords.
- Find Keyword Modifiers: Document keyword modifiers into intent stages to help identify search intent and high intent groups. Create terms that don’t have high volume, but that you still want to own and rank for.
- Use Keyword Mapping: Prioritize your keywords on the keyword mapping tab
- Build an Action Plan: Build out an action plan to support the strategy with prioritized recommendations and tactics. It’s important to create your action plan so you’re client will understand what you are measuring. Deliver the strategy – include recap and the current state analysis, so they know why you got to your solution.
- Content Performance: If you’ve made changes to your content or included new content, it’s best to document all changes. Include what you are targeting, the page intent, target audience, and end goal.
- Reporting: Use your original goal details to build a report. Your report should include KPIs, key trends, and content performance. Utilizing Supermetrics or Data Studio can help you with reporting.
After this step, it’s important to utilize everything you’ve done to monitor performance and adjust your strategy as needed. It’s also important to revisit and tweak strategy as you’re going. This free SEO Campaign Template is applicable for any industry, and can help you build your framework. You can download it here.
Katie Cunningham, SEO Manager at Adept Marketing, consults on a variety of e-commerce, B2B, and healthcare companies. She is experienced building SEO campaigns, driving in-house SEO training, and working across service lines to drive growth for her clients.