The following post is part of WTWH Media Marketing Lab’s ongoing blog series from MozCon 2017.
Krista Seiden, Analytics Advocate at Google discussed how to use analytics to drive conversion, optimization and personalization. She quoted Rand Fishkin by stating, “You can’t do SEO without CRO.” However, Seiden’s research found you can’t do SEO without analytics. She presented five tips for using analytics to drive CRO and five actionable items to start today.
Tip #1: Implementation to track conversion rate optimization
- Use data layers by GTM to collect custom information, send to customer dimensions in google analytics
- Use campaign tagging to distinguish for variations – UTM tracking, e-mail testing, ad testing
- Use Social Media to track different campaigns with parameters and use individual tracking link for each post and channel
Tip #2: Make Analytics Goals to Track Success
- Setup Analytics Goals to Track Conversion Funnels
- Set Micro Conversions
- Set Macro Conversions
Tip #3: Use Site Search to Get More Data
- Use this data for your SEO purposes
- Use these words to optimize for – all the way down the funnel
- Use/create Heatmaps to better understand behavior
Tip #4: Pay Attention to Key Analytic Reports
- Devices report shows all of different traffic. This shows what devices are preforming well and helps you use data to optimize
- Browser report shows what browser versions are supported
- Site search conversion rates show which search terms are driving conversions all the way across the funnel
- Search console integration shows landing pages and queries which helps you collect all search console data within GA
- Qualitative Testing surveys help you add to qualitative data testing & analysis with qualitative feedback. This is a powerful combination.
Tip #5: Drive Conversion with Personalization
- Understand the market of personalization at mass scale
- Understand the market of personalization at a local level
- Understand the market of personalization at an action level
- Understand the customer with personalization in real time
Take Action: 5 things to start doing today
- Implement to track relevant data
- Explore your analytics data for optimization opportunities
- Identify key metrics and objectives
- Build personalized experiences
- Measure, analyze, and repeat
In conclusion Seiden added, “You will not win if you’re not delivering that experience. To succeed, you need to build personalized experiences.”
Krista Seiden is the Analytics Advocate for Google, advocating for all things data, web, mobile, optimization, and more. Keynote speaker, practitioner, writer on Analytics and Optimization, and passionate supporter of #WomenInAnalytics.