7 Qualities of Successful Companies Using Content Marketing
Are you curious about what it take for your company to be successful in content marketing? Marcus Sheridan shared his expertise on the subject at Social Media Marketing World 2016.
Marcus Sheridan is one of the top thought-leaders in the digital sales and marketing industry. He owned a swimming pool company, River Pools, and took the company from being nearly bankrupt to the most visited swimming pool website in the world, getting over 500,000 visitors a month. He started a blog called The Sales Lion, detailing his unique marketing strategies that were working for his company. Now, The Sales Lion is a company that coaches and teaches content marketing to many businesses and a Platinum HubSpot partner.
Why is marketing important? 70% of buyers already have their mind made up about a service or product before meeting the salesperson. What they know and think about the product or service is because of marketing.
- The first quality of a successful company using content marketing is that they have buy in from the top to bottom. This means that management, sales, and all employees buy in to the marketing department and participate. As companies say that everyone is in sales, everyone needs to be in marketing as well.
- Next tip is not to overthink the strategy. It’s simple, customers ask and you answer. If you truly listen to people and understand what they want, you will never run out of great content.
- The number one mistake marketer’s make is producing content for the top of the sales funnel, all leads. Successful companies answer the hard questions and start at the bottom of the funnel, your customers.
- Unless someone takes ownership of it, it won’t work. Own the content, own the marketing, and see yourself as a teacher.
- Success doesn’t happen overnight. Accomplished content marketers understand the long game.
- They have guts and make their own rules. Customer ignorance is no longer a sales and marketing strategy. Don’t be afraid to write the truth. Build relationships and trust from people and you will be successful.
- They measure, track, and use the right tools. They can show the ROI and prove that what they are doing is working.
For more information from Marcus Sheridan, check out www.thesaleslion.com or on Twitter @TheSalesLion.
Here is a live feed from the session: